Monday, 7 July 2008

5th July 2008

Last night, our friends John and Maureen treated us to dinner at The Compleat Angler, a famous waterside hotel on the Thames in Marlow. The situation is idyllic and we wer very lucky to get a table with a view of the river and out on to the church on the other side. It was gorgeous, especially as the light changed when dusk fell. We get on really well with John and Maureen and thoroughly enjoy their company so it was bound to be a super evening regardless.

I must say, I was a bit thrown by the starters. Most of them had ingredients that were not my favourites – even the asparagus (which I love) had a goat’s cheese sauce. I loathe goat’s cheese. So I ordered a yellow fin tuna Salade Niçoise. Sadly, the tuna had been cured, not cooked. I know this is the fashion, but I just cannot do raw fish. The little quail’s eggs, mini potatoes and crispy green beans were lovely though. The main course was much more to my taste. Maureen and I both had the steak, and Guy and John had the lamb. I’m told the lamb was wonderful and I certainly enjoyed my steak. It was very tender, cooked exactly as I like it and served with caramelised onions that just melted in my mouth. For dessert I had a honeycomb concoction which was just wicked. (I mean that in the nicest possible way!) It was light, beautifully presented and completely delicious. We also had some lovely wines with our meal. It was a long evening, ending just after 2am, with coffee and liqueurs, but we had a wonderful time in great company.

I'd recommend The Compleat Angler. The staff were very attentive and even held our table for over an hour for us when traffic kept us from arriving as planned. It's expensive, but it's a lovely dining experience in a fabulous setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.