Wednesday, 30 July 2008

900 Degrees in the Kitchen

There seems to be a distinct lack of recipes coming out of the 21st Century Housewife's kitchen this week and I'm beginning to feel more than a little guilty about it. I haven't even updated the "Recipe of the Week" page on my main website http://www.21stcenturyhousewife.com/ .

The thing is, it is just too hot to cook. It's almost too hot to think. England just doesn't do happy mediums. It seems people eat too much, drink too much, it rains too much and the temperature is either too cold or too hot. Once in a blue moon we get a lovely day which everyone waxes lyrical about until they are either drenched with a passing shower, frozen or boiled to death.

I do find there are kitchen solutions for when it is unbearably hot and humid and they don't have to involve salad as a main course. Monday night I avoided using the oven altogether by boiling up some lovely Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli. It only takes 3 minutes on the stove top. I microwaved some Fresh Tomato and Mascarpone Sauce and served it on top. A bit of salad on the side and a fresh loaf of bread from the local bakers and we were set. Yes, I know the whole meal was a massive cheat but it tasted delicious and I was not even slightly wilted when I sat down at the table.

Last night, Guy was away so Alex and I resorted to our favourite Fish Finger Wraps (see my entry for Friday 27th June). We didn't have any wraps in the store cupboard though so we resorted to toasted pita breads. I found that experiment entirely successful, but Alex was not really in agreement as although he enjoyed them he said "the wraps taste better". If you fancy trying my version, just cook about 2 or 3 fish fingers per person (preferably nice big fat ones made from sustainably fished cod or haddock) and then serve them in a toasted pitta bread with some lettuce and cucumber. It's nice to add a sauce to them as well - again Alex and I are not quite in agreement here. He likes ketchup, but I prefer tartar sauce, mayonnaise or Heinz salad cream.

Wherever you are in the world, I hope your weather today is lovely and that you are neither drenched by a passing shower, frozen nor boiled to death!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.