Tuesday, 15 July 2008

Bits and Pieces

Five days since my last blog entry! And have I not been eating? Au contraire! I've been doing loads of stuff, including eating, which is why this poor blog has been so neglected.

Last Friday I made salmon parcels again and it reminded me that I forgot to mention when I blogged the recipe for my salmon parcels that I often make salmon hors d'oeuvres the next day with left over salmon. Even if it's just the three of us for dinner, they are really yummy with a drink before we eat. And if we've got folks round for cocktails, these are the hors d'oeuvres that always go first (along with my Devilled Eggs - but that's a recipe for another day!). Here's the recipe for the salmon hors d'oeuvres - the quantities are flexible as only you know how much salmon you've got left over!
Salmon Hor D'Oeuvres
Leftover cooked salmon
Mayonnaise (I use Hellmann's Extra Light to keep things in line calorie wise!)
celery and red pepper, finely chopped
a squeeze of lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
a selection of biscuits/crackers of your choice
(I like Ritz or TUC biscuits for these but please yourself!)
Mix the salmon with the celery and red pepper and enough mayonnise just to bind it without making it gloopy (technical term!). Add a squeeze of lemon juice and taste the mixture. Add a bit more lemon if it needs it and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Place teaspoonfuls of the mixture on the biscuits and serve them along with something cold and delicious to drink.
We had these on Saturday night before our dinner of Turkey Steaks and Spaghetti. It's one of our family favourites and is a recipe of Guy's. It was one of the first things he ever cooked for me just after we met. I love it (and him!) even more today than I did then.
Guy's Turkey Steaks
Serves 4
4 turkey escalopes – about one to two centimetres in thickness
1 egg
Matzo meal (available in many supermarkets, but if you can’t get it, just use breadcrumbs)
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup of mild olive oil (not Extra Virgin)
375 grams of spaghetti
¼ cup melted butter, 1 teaspoon Very Lazy Garlic and 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning OR ½ pesto OR about 1½ cups of tomato sauce

Mix the Matzo meal with the salt and pepper and place on a plate. Break the egg into a large bowl and beat lightly. Heat the oil in a large shallow frying pan until it is very hot, taking care not to burn yourself. When the oil is hot, dip the escalopes first in the egg, and then in the matzo meal mixture. Place them straight into the hot oil. Cook for about three minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the escalopes, until no pink remains inside.

Meanwhile cook the spaghetti in boiling water according to package directions. Drain and toss with EITHER the melted butter mixed with the garlic and seasoning OR the pesto OR the tomato sauce.
We usually serve this with a side salad or a portion of green vegetables - broccoli is really good.
So that's what we've been up to...and I promise to try not to miss so many days at a time again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.