Tuesday, 22 July 2008

The Joy of Leftovers

I like having leftovers, and in view of this cooked a 3 kilogram leg of pork for Sunday lunch with our friends. This did cause some hilarity when I mentioned that I was cooking such a big joint. I was asked things like, "how big was the pig if each leg weighed 3 kilograms"??? To be fair, that is 12 kilograms of legs alone, before you even start with the body. Poor little (okay not so little) pig!

Anyway, we did have leftovers and I was delighted. So yesterday evening I took the opportunity to make one of my favourite dinner sandwiches.

The 21st Century Housewife's
Hot Hoagie Sandwiches
Serves 4

I large baguette or4 rolls (if the rolls or baguette are a bit on the stale side that is okay as they will be warmed in the oven and this will revitalise them)
Butter
Several slices of cold leftover pork or beef
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon sugar
Leftover roasted peppers or vegetables
Grated cheese

Slice the baguette into 4 pieces and split it so that you can put the fillings inside. If you are using rolls, slice them in the same way. Butter the baguette or rolls. Place each baguette on a piece of aluminium foil big enough to wrap around the entire sandwich. Preheat the oven to about 150ºC or 325ºF.

Melt the 1 tablespoon butter in a frying pan and gently fry the onion until it begins to take on a golden colour. Sprinkle with the sugar and cook a little longer. Turn off the heat and set aside.

Fill each piece of baguette or roll with a quarter of the meat, roasted vegetables, fried onions and cheese. Now wrap each sandwich firmly in the foil. Place the foil wrapped sandwiches on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 1o to 15 minutes or until heated through.

Unwrap the sandwiches carefully (they will be steaming hot!) and enjoy. These taste great with a cold beer and some crisps or potato chips on the side.

I enjoyed these so much last night that today I used leftover baguette to make a vegetarian Hoagie for lunch. I just used a couple of tomato slices, some roast peppers and Monterey Jack cheese as the fillings. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.