Saturday, 9 August 2008

Friday Night Dinner A Deux


I just could not decide what to make Guy and I for dinner last night. I wanted a simple Friday night supper but I also wanted it to be special. After much thought and perusal of the freezer, I decided to throw this together. Actually, that is a fib - I had one of those "is that the time?" moments when Guy rang to say he was on his way home (I had been writing non stop) so I only minutes to peruse! This recipe really is that easy. It has only a few ingredients and takes less than half an hour to prepare - plus most of it is ingredients you probably already have on hand. I fell back on my favourite trick of dressing the pasta with butter and lemon (not very Italian really, it should be olive oil, but with fish I like butter) and I served it with a Brown Brothers Dry Muscat which went beautifully with the simple flavours of the dish.

Okay, so I'm not sure if the pasta bowl is really the right colour for this dish (it's all a bit of a festival of pastels), but it was what I had to hand! The dish tasted wonderful despite the bowl. This is, after all, my real life - not an artificially styled and edited version thereof!

The 21st Century Housewife's
Friday Night Seafood Pasta
Serves 2

180 grams of dried tagliatelli (a fistful) - you can use enough fresh pasta to serve 2 if you like, it's just that I had dried to hand
1 handful of frozen cooked prawns (shrimp!) thawed
(If you are deciding to do this last minute, pop the prawns in a Ziplock freezer bag and place them in a bowl under a trickling cold tap - they'll thaw in no time. Don't panic if they are not completely thawed either as they will finish thawing in the heat of the dish. Just make sure they are heated through.)
1 handful of frozen peas
4 tablespoons of good unsalted butter, melted
2 - 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
fresh herbs - about 1 tablespoon assorted chopped fresh Italian style herbs - like oregano, thyme, chives etc (or if you don't have fresh, try using 1 teaspoon dried Italian style herbs)
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the dried or fresh tagliatelli in boiling water according to package directions. In the last two minutes of cooking, turn the heat right up and add the frozen peas. At the end of the cooking time, drain the whole lot and return it to the pan.

Add the butter, lemon juice, herbs and toss to mix. Now add the prawns and stir just to heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.