Monday, 22 September 2008

Some new recipes, a lovely dinner out and something different for lunch

I've come across some super recipes recently and wanted to point you in their direction as they are well worth trying. The first one is a fantastic Pork Chop recipe using all the bounty of the season - Cider and Bramley Chops. It's by those clever people at Ocado. Click here to give it a try. And for dessert, try BBC Good Food's fantastic Greengage and Vanilla Tart. It's absolutely scrumptuous. I made it using a graham cracker crust, instead of the dessert pastry they recommend, but I'm sure either is equally delicious. This pie is really easy and quick to make and we all loved it. To give it a try, click here.

On Saturday night, after a wonderful day out in London, we went to Piccolino in Heddon Street again. We are becoming virtually regulars there, as every time we go the food is consistently delicious and the service is wonderful. This time I had their Veal alla Milanese. A super piece of veal, it was lightly breaded and beautifully cooked. Served over spaghetti alla pomodoro, it was quite scrumptuous. The 21st Century Husband had a Seafood Risotto, and The 21st Century Teenager had their amazing Spaghetti Carbonara, as always. It is served with a poached egg on top, and when the yolk is cracked, it's gorgeous yellowness oozes quite voluptuously over the pasta. It makes my mouth water just watching it. I keep almost ordering it, but the what must be astronomical calorie count keeps scaring me away.

For dessert I had a beautiful Pear and Fig Tart served with Amaretto Ice Cream. It was indescribably delicious and was worth every single calorie. Thankfully my husband had ordered his own portion of this delicious dessert as although we normally share desserts, I think that it would have been unfair of me to ask him to share this! My son had the delicous Chocolate Torte, which could almost have been named "Death by Chocolate" it was so decadent and rich (I was allowed to taste it!). We were offered some beautiful homemade truffles on the house and, with out coffee, they were a wonderful finish to a simply beautiful meal.

And to follow through on my blog title for today, I made something different for my lunch for a change. It's something that really stretched my comfort zone but it was an entirely successful experiment. Give it a try - it's yummy, and good for you!


The 21st Century Housewife's
Healthy Pitta Lunch




2 wholemeal pittas per person, grilled or toasted
hummus
2 small tomatoes per person and 2 spring onions (scallions) per person, finely chopped
salt and pepper


Mix the chopped tomatoes and onions together and add salt and pepper to taste. Cut each toasted pitta in half and fill with a dollop of hummus, and a spoonful of the tomato mixture. A delicious lunch that is good for you and for the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.