Friday, 19 September 2008

Two Great Successes

It's been a bit of potluck this week really, playing around with recipes and enjoying myself. There were two really good successes - the first on Wednesday night with Alex.

We made stir fry with noodles using carrots, courgettes (zucchini) and spring onions (scallions). I used a ready prepared sauce, Sharwood's Black Bean sauce. So basically, I just sliced matchsticks of the carrots and courgettes and kind of shredded the spring onions. I cooked some dried chinese noodles, and then rinsed them in cold water and added them at the end of the stir frying process. Then I poured in the sauce, and threw in a handful of roasted, salted cashews. A quick, easy and very delicous vegetarian meal in a very short time indeed!

Last night I made a delicious oven dinner. It was such a success it deserves to be written as a proper recipe.

The 21st Century Housewife's
One Pan Roast Sausage Dinner
Serves 3 - 4
9 good quality sausages
(I used delicious sausages made with pork, onions and wholegrain mustard)
about 16 shallots, peeled and left whole
one small bulb of garlic (or half a large one), cloves peeled and left whole
2 - 3 red apples (preferably cooking apples), quartered, skins left on
1 - 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Place the sausages, shallots and garlic cloves in the pan. Toss with the olive oil and place in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350 - 375 F or 180 C. After 30 minutes, add the apple quarters and stir the mixture. Return to the oven and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sausages are done.
I served this with a selection of condiments, onion gravy, ketchup and mustard. I also sauteed some potatoes to serve alongside it which were delicious.
Have a fantastic weekend, and enjoy cooking with all of Autumn's bounty. (With apologies to those who live in the Southern Hemisphere - you enjoy the Spring bounty!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.