Thursday, 10 September 2009

The 21st Century Housewife's© Wholegrain Mustard and Tarragon Sauce


We had friends visiting last weekend and I wanted to make something new. My butcher does beautiful pork tenderloin and I found some lovely fresh tarragon at a local shop, so I let my creativity loose and this was the result. Wholegrain Dijon mustard is made with whole grains of mustard and has a delicious flavour. Most varieties are milder than traditional Dijon, but add as much or as little as you like. I love a good punchy mustard flavour in a sauce so I use 3 tablespoons, but taste as you go, and see what suits you. Take your time sautéing the onion. The longer you cook it, the sweeter and more delicious it will be.

This sauce was wonderful with the pork tenderloin, but I think it would be equally delicious with chicken. I’d quite like to try it with salmon and monkfish as well. It is definitely not low fat, but it is really delicious!

1 tablespoon butter (preferably unsalted - I like the French brand President)
1 small red onion, very finely chopped
1-1/2 cups (12 ounces or 355 ml) single cream (light cream or half and half)
2 - 3 tablespoons wholegrain Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, very finely chopped
squeeze of lemon

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Sauté the onion gently over low heat for at least fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally. Gently stir in the cream. Add mustard to taste and heat through, continuing to stir occasionally. Add a little squeeze of lemon juice, and the tarragon. Stir through and serve over pork, chicken or fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.