Tuesday, 6 April 2010

My Grandma Ruby's Trifle


I've blogged about my Grandma’s trifle before, but as part of my Family Food History and Recipe Project I have been playing around with the recipe a little bit. I think my Grandma would be pleased with this slightly revised version. It makes a gorgeous dessert, easily serves a crowd, and is a snap to put together. I took it to my husband’s parent’s house for dessert at Easter lunch this year. Sadly my mother-in-law is in hospital at the moment, but I made up an individual serving for her in one of those small thermos pots and took it in when we visited after lunch. I have always wondered what the trifle would be like without the alcohol, and as she was in hospital I left it out. She said she really enjoyed it, so do feel free to leave out the sherry if you like. I have served this to kids with the sherry in it with no ill effects, but if you are concerned, just make two smaller trifles - one with alcohol and one without.

All you need is a pretty bowl (or bowls) and the following ingredients:-
(Please bear in mind these are estimates as quantities will vary with the size of the bowl you choose.)

2 large jelly rolls (also called roulade or Swiss roll), sliced in roughly half inch slices (my jelly rolls were 11 inches long, but you can always use more of the shorter ones)
3½ to 4 cups (about 1½ pints) custard, freshly made and still warm
(made with custard powder like Harry Horne’s or Bird’s according to package directions)
½ to ¾ cup sherry
2 cups sliced strawberries plus more for garnish
2 cups whipping cream
2 generous tablespoons sugar (vanilla sugar if you have it)
a handful of toasted almonds

Arrange slices of jelly roll along the bottom and up the sides of a glass bowl so it looks pretty. Pour a layer of warm custard over top. Add another layer of jelly roll slices over the custard. Using a spoon, sprinkle the jelly roll with about one third of the sherry and then cover with half the strawberries. It should look something like this:-



Add another layer of jelly roll and sprinkle some more sherry over the top so it looks like this:-



Follow with another layer of strawberries and one more of custard, like this.



Cover the custard with more jelly roll slices. (You might want to slice the jelly roll a bit thinner for this layer if there is the bowl is getting a bit full.) Sprinkle with sherry and pour over a final layer of custard, being careful to leave room at the top of the bowl for the whipped cream.

Let the trifle cool down and place in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.

A few hours before serving, whip the cream with the sugar until soft peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over top of the custard. Garnish with strawberries and toasted almonds. Keep in the fridge until you serve it. Leftovers (if you have any!) will keep for about a day in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.