Sunday, 23 May 2010

The 21st Century Housewife’s© Apricot and Almond Loaf Cake



The wonderful flavour combination of apricots and almonds makes this cake almost sinfully delicious.  It’s seriously moist, so it is best if you can make it the day before and allow it to rest overnight before slicing into it.  (It tastes even better after it has sat for a while.)  However, every time I make this it smells so good while it is cooking I find myself cutting into it when it is still warm.  It tends to crumble and make a bit of a mess if you do that but it is so worth it because it tastes absolutely ambrosial - if I do say so myself! Actually, even when it has cooled, this tends to be a very crumbly cake so I always use a very sharp knife to cut it.  Sadly it is definitely not low-calorie, but I comfort myself with the thought that dried fruit and nuts are really very good for you!   

1¾ cups all purpose flour
¼ cup ground almonds
¾ cup white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup chopped dried apricots (ready to eat ones)
1 cup desiccated coconut
¾ cup chopped almonds
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup oil or melted butter, cooled a bit
1 cup buttermilk or milk
1 teaspoon almond extract

Mix the flour, ground almonds, sugar, baking powder, dried apricots and coconut together in a large bowl.

In another bowl or large pitcher mix together the eggs, oil or melted butter, buttermilk or milk and almond extract.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones all at once and stir thoroughly to blend. 

Pour into a large (2 lb) greased and floured or lined loaf tin, or you can divide the mixture between two smaller ones.  Bake at 350 or about 170 (160 fan) for 40 to 50 minutes (30 to 40 minutes if you use smaller loaf tins) or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.