Thursday, 3 June 2010

My First Experience Cooking with Tofu


I’m not a vegetarian but I do enjoy meat-free meals, ordering them in restaurants and frequently cooking them at home, but one thing I’ve always been nervous about is cooking with tofu.  I have eaten it on many occasions, however up until last week I had never cooked with it myself. 

I had trouble imagining how I could transform the white, slightly slimy looking blocks I saw in the grocery store into something I could want to eat and the thought of having to press or drain it extensively and then marinate it always put me off.  Recently though I have noticed more and more ‘ready to use’ tofu in stores.  It is cut into bite size pieces and is already marinated which gives it a bit more appetizing colour. 

So last week I took my courage in both hands and bought one of the packages of ginger and garlic marinated tofu.  I was pleased to read it cooked in only five minutes, making it perfect to use in my cashew nut stir fry recipe in place of the cashews.  It turned out really well, and everyone thoroughly enjoyed it, especially my long-suffering son who has been encouraging me to cook with tofu for ages!

1 to 2 tablespoons oil, sesame for preference
160 gram package (5 to 6 ounces) marinated tofu pieces (ginger and garlic)
2 or 3 leeks, finely shredded and thoroughly washed or 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and sliced
2 or 3 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly on the diagonal
2 to 3 packages ready to cook noodles or 2 or 3 nests of dried noodles, cooked, drained and tossed in a little oil

Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok.  Add the leeks or onion, peppers and carrots and stir fry for about three minutes.  



Add the tofu and stir fry for five minutes.  


Toss in the noodles, heat through and serve. 

That’s it, a quick and easy meat-free meal to serve up to four people.  It was delicious and I’m sure I’ll be cooking with tofu again soon!



6 comments:

  1. I have always been scared to try cooking with Tofu! Way to go!! Yours looks really good. I may just have to jump in and try it!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks really good.
    I've been vegetarian for four years, but only this past year I seriously started cooking with tofu. I know what you mean, I felt the same way - how on earth can I transfer this unappealling mass into something edible and delicious? But I'm getting better at it now.
    Thank you for visiting my blog.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the colors make this meal. so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful and it certainly is gorgeous to look at. I really love your blog and will be back more often to see what you've been cooking. Thank you fro the birthday wishes. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job with the tofu!! I am not a vegetarian, but a lot of my girls are so I am always looking for new ways to feed them!
    cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great and looks amazing! Can't wait to try this out

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.