Tuesday, 27 July 2010

The 21st Century Housewife's Delicious Chicken Marinade - A Cook Once, Eat Twice Recipe





This marinade has been a favourite in our house for a very long time. One of the things I love about it is it is great for ‘cook once, eat twice’ recipe combinations. It’s spicy, but not too much so, and kids love it. The first night you can barbecue or bake the chicken in the oven and the second you just need the oven or barbecue for about twenty minutes.

The original recipe was from a wonderful cookbook my late Aunt Trish gave me when I was in my teens called the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook, a collection of recipes by Kate Macdonald, inspired by the writings of Lucy Maud Montgomery. I’ve change the recipe over the years, modifying the proportions of many of the ingredients and adding balsamic vinegar into the mix, something that really wasn’t widely popular back in 1985 when the book was published.

Although you can use chicken legs, wings and thighs, I prefer to use it for chicken breasts, not only because my family like them best, but also because they work better for these recipes. To serve four people for two meals you need:-

1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon Very Lazy Garlic (or 1 clove of garlic)
2 tablespoons olive oil or other vegetable oil
1 cup ketchup
½ cup balsamic vinegar
juice of half a lemon
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
a generous pinch of salt

Melt the butter in a small saucepan, and gently sauté the onion until it begins to appear translucent. Add the Very Lazy Garlic and stir it in. (If using a garlic clove, grate it into the mixture now and stir in.) Let the mixture cook for about a minute. Now add all the remaining ingredients and stir together. 

Bring the mixture just to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about ten minutes. 

You can either cool the marinade down to fridge temperature and then marinate cold chicken breasts in it for several hours in the fridge before you cook them, or just put it warm on the chicken as you are about to cook it.

Cook the chicken on the barbecue (or in the oven at about 375 - that’s 170 to 180) turning once until no pink remains inside. In the oven this will take about 30 to 40 minutes. Remember never serve leftover marinade that has been used to marinate raw meat.

On the first night, serve the chicken with baked potatoes and vegetables (we love corn on the cob and green beans with this). Reserve four of the chicken breasts for the second night, cooling them quickly and refrigerating as soon as possible. On the second you can make a delicious dinner sandwich.  I’m relying on you already having some roast vegetables in the fridge, but if you don’t you can always just use some roasted red peppers from a jar instead. 


Healthy Chicken Supper Sandwiches

To serve four people you need:-

One long baguette (I like to use wholemeal as it is better for you but any will do)
3 to 4 cooked marinated chicken breasts, sliced
about 1 cup of roasted vegetables
4 slices of Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, cut in half diagonally

Cut the baguette in four pieces and then slice each slice in half. Stuff each sandwich with some sliced chicken and some of the roast veggies and top with a slice of cheese. Wrap each sandwich tightly in foil and bake in the oven or barbecue for 20 to 25 minutes until piping hot. Serve with salad and a few good potato chips.






2 comments:

  1. I love meals where you can feed the family 2 nights in a row! I often put the leftover chicken on salad but the sandwich is a great idea! The marinade sauce looks awesome, I LOVE balsamic vinegar! I'm totally keeping this to try! Thanks!


    By the way, thanks for commenting on my blog but just so you know, there is no link to your site on the comment and there is no email attached to it, just NON REPLY COMMENTER so it is hard for someone to find your site. If you want more visiters, you might want to go into settings and try to fix this in the comments section. Email me if you have any questions! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie :)

    I'm not sure why that is happening for you as when I click on my name in the comment I made on your site it goes straight to the home page of www.21stcenturyhousewife.com which is my main site. (The 21st Century Housewife's Kitchen is my food blog.) I'll go in and have a look at my settings for this blog and I'll put my email on the home page as well as in the Contact section of my main site. Thanks for offering to help :)

    Very best wishes, April

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.