Sunday, 19 December 2010

Grandma's Garlic Bread


This is one of those wonderful 1950’s and 60’s recipes that not only tastes good, it’s frugal too. Back before everyone could pronounce baguette, when garlic was still an exotic ingredient, this was the way my Mom made garlic bread. And sitting at her table one day in Canada thirty years later, my son, who loves it, christened it Grandma’s Garlic Bread.

Of course, he was used to the kind of garlic bread you get in Italy and France, beautiful thick loaves smothered in a thick medley of garlic and unsalted butter. But my Mom’s garlic bread has a cachet all its own, and when it comes down to comfort food, this is the garlic bread I prefer.

The bread part is hamburger buns. They can be white or whole wheat, and if they are a little bit stale it really doesn’t matter. I do recall a couple of occasions when Mom used hotdog buns as well. Originally she made this recipe with garlic salt and margarine, so I have made it healthier to reflect the times, but the spirit and taste of the recipe is very much the same as Mom’s. It’s quick and easy and let’s face it, there are not many dishes garlic bread doesn’t go with.

For about 8 to 10 pieces of Grandma’s Garlic Bread, you need:-

4 or 5 hamburger buns, cut in half
4 to 5 tablespoons butter
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
(You can use garlic salt here instead, but don’t salt the bread at the end!)
1 to 2 teaspoons dried parsley (you can use fresh if you prefer)
salt and pepper to taste (I like to use ground rock salt and peppercorns)

Preheat the broiler/grill  to about 375 (180 to 190).

Place the buns, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Melt the butter in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove. Grate in the garlic and add the parsley.

Brush the cut side of the buns generously with the buttery garlic mixture. Grind some salt and pepper over the top.

4 comments:

  1. What a great use for leftover buns. We eat garlic or cheese bread a couple of times a week in my family. We just cannot get enough. I think everyone would like it this way, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I love garlic bread. This one sounds fabulous. Love the history behind it. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.