Thursday, 13 January 2011

Orange and Raisin Challah Loaf



Ok, I promise, just one more bread machine bread post for now! I’ve saved the best for last, as this is one of my very favourite recent experiments. It’s based on the delicious Challah bread recipe I posted last Friday.

When I first made Challah bread using my bread machine, I only used it for the dough setting because I wanted to attempt the traditional braided shape. However I was so pleased with the texture and flavour of the bread, I wondered what it would be like made entirely in the machine for everyday.

Challah is a traditional Jewish bread, and raisins are often added at times of celebration. Now I love raisin bread, so I thought I would incorporate them into it. In fact, I used some beautiful California crimson raisins, and while I need to apologise for the food miles, they really did make it extra special. And then I got to thinking about orange peel and how good orange can taste with raisins and, well, the rest is history. I love it when a plan comes together.

Makes 1 bread machine loaf.

2 eggs, at room temperature
water
2 generous tablespoons of olive or other mild vegetable oil
3 cups strong white bread flour
grated rind of one orange
½ cup raisins or sultanas
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon caster sugar
2 teaspoons fast acting dried yeast

Mix the raisins and the orange peel together in a small bowl.

Break the eggs into a measuring jug and beat lightly. Make up to 1¼ cups with water. Beat together lightly. Pour into the bread maker bucket.

Add the oil and half the flour. Sprinkle with the sugar and salt and top with the remaining flour. Mound the yeast in the centre.

Fit the bucket into the bread maker and set to the raisin bake setting. If you have an automatic raisin dispenser, you can put the raisins and orange peel into it now. If you don’t, you will need to listen for the ‘raisin beep’ and add them then.

When the loaf is cooked, remove the bucket from the bread maker and carefully shake it out of the bucket onto a cooling rack. Wait at least a half an hour before slicing.

This bread is gorgeous spread with butter and jam, and it tastes lovely toasted too.

2 comments:

  1. You know, with a bread that good, why bother sweating over the plait!? It looks like a wonderful loaf; perfect for the toaster and lots of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! Thanks for coming by and checking out my recipe!

    Frugally Green Mom

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.