Sunday, 6 February 2011

The Food of Memory



I hadn’t made Snickerdoodles since I was pre-teen, stirring away at cookie dough in my Mom’s kitchen. My Mom always seemed to be on a diet, and didn’t really like it when I baked anything too big, but cookies Mom could handle. And so, because I loved to bake, I made loads and loads of cookies.

Anyway one day, aged about nine or ten, I remember making Snickerdoodles. I loved their wonderful cinnamon sugar topping, but for some reason I never made them again. I have no idea where I got the recipe but I did write it out and kept it  tucked away in my recipe file. It may well have been from one of my Mom’s well thumbed copies of Better Homes and Gardens or even Family Circle, but I cannot be sure. 

In the lull between Christmas and New Year last year, I was going through my old recipes and the Snickerdoodle recipe jumped out at me. Although often associated with the holidays, their sugary, cinnamon-y goodness is wonderful for any time of year - warming, comforting and perfect with a nice cup of tea.

Makes 6 dozen cookies

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

I use an electric mixer to make these.

Preheat the oven to 350 (170).  Cream the butter. Add the sugar, baking soda and cream of tartar and cream together well. Scrape the sides of the bowl from time to time to be sure everything is well mixed.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.

Gradually beat in the flour, a bit at a time, until it become too difficult to mix with the electric mixer. Then gradually add the rest of the flour, stirring in with a wooden spoon.

Put the mixture into the fridge for about half an hour.

Meanwhile, mix together the 3 tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon.

Remove the cookie mixture from the fridge and roll into small balls (and I do mean small, these really spread!). Roll the cookie balls in the cinnamon sugar mixture and place two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the cookie sheets for a minute or two before removing the cookies. Then carefully remove them and cool on a wire rack.

Store in an airtight container.

3 comments:

  1. These would make any day a holiday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, can you believe I have never made a snickerdoodle? What is wrong with me? These sound wonderful and I will be making them...asap. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I boys love Snickerdoodles. They didn't make it onto our Christmas list this year due to time shortage. I might just have to make them a batch for Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.