Monday, 14 March 2011

A Delicious Way to Use Vegetable Preserves and Chutneys



I’m thinking about salads a lot at the moment. I’m not sure if it’s because I want it to be spring or because the sun is out a lot more recently, but salads are definitely on my mind. The only thing with salads is that it is possible to get bored with them, particularly if you get into a rut with dressings, which is an easy thing to do.

Salad dressings can be a minefield. The manufacturers of store bought dressings alternately push “low fat” dressings (which are often high in sugars and artificial ingredients) or “high fat” dressings (which are very high in calories) because they allegedly help us to absorb nutrients better. I’m a big fan of making your own salad dressings (for one of my ‘go-to’ recipes  with lots of variations please click here), but I also use something else to dress salads that you may not have thought of before - preserved chutneys and vegetable jams. They work incredibly well and its a great way to use up those jars and bottles you have hiding in your fridge. 

Here’s a recipe for a fantastic salad using one of my favourite chutneys, which will hopefully inspire you to try some delicious combinations of your own, using your favourites. This salad will serve two as a light lunch and you can make one of two variations - apple and onion chutney or apple butter with apples, or tomato jam with cherry tomatoes. I can never decide which variation I like best! And yes, I know the idea of apple butter on a salad is a little radical, but seriously, trust me on this one!

Delicious Cheese and Chutney Salad

4 cups mixed lettuces
1 apple, cored and thinly sliced (don’t peel) OR
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
about 4 generous tablespoons apple and onion chutney or apple butter (if using apples) OR tomato jam (if using cherry tomatoes)
1 cup grated vegetarian (or vegan) cheddar cheese

Toss the lettuces and cherry tomatoes or apple slices together in a large salad bowl. Divide between two plates and serve topped with the cheese and a couple spoonfuls of the chutney or apple butter (if using apple slices) or the tomato jam (if using tomatoes). Serve with a basket of hot rolls on the side if you wish.

Let this be a springboard for your own ideas with savoury preserves and chutneys - it will bring new life to your salad bowl!

6 comments:

  1. Hi there visiting from Totally Tuesday Blog Hop ... that looks and sounds like a yummy salad!! HHL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish! I'll definitely have to try that. :)

    I'm a new follower from Totally Tuesday. Nice to meet you. Hope you can stop by and say hello!

    Wife on the Roller Coaster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds delicious!!

    I'm a new follower from the Totally Tuesday Blog hop. I would love it if you could follow me back.

    Hope
    http://www.peanutbutterandhopey.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your newest follower! Great blog :)
    You can follow me here:

    http://dollymamadaydreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing! And can I say, I love Bran Muffins and am definitely trying yours! I'm a new follower. Love the follow back!

    <a href="http://www.simplemomsolutions.com>Simple Mom Solutions</a>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!


    Hiya! Newest follower from The Totally Tuesday Hop-- please stop by and say hello! Would love if ya followed back!

    ♥cyn♥
    http://cyn-thenutshell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.