Thursday, 12 May 2011

Balsamic Red Pepper Pizzas


So the other evening, my son made Red Pepper Crostini as a starter for a dinner my husband and I were hosting with friends. It was one of the things we learned to make at the Italian Cooking Course we did at the Miele Experience Centre, and oh my, was it good! In fact, it was so good, we really couldn’t stop thinking about it, and yesterday my son suggested making it again. Only this time, he decided he would use several different colours of peppers. It was a great idea. The combination of colour and flavour with the red, orange and yellow peppers was just wonderful. However as he doubled the recipe, we had leftovers.

That would be good for lunch, he suggested, maybe on a bigger crostini, maybe a bit like a French bread pizza? I'm grateful to my son for an inspired idea, and a delicious lunch! 


I just topped a half slice of French bread with the pepper mixture, added a few halved cherry tomatoes and topped it with sliced mozzarella cheese. Then I baked it in the oven at about 375℉ (190℃) and baked it for about 20 minutes. 

You could use any sliced or grated cheese you like - I can't help but think that Pepper Jack would be delicious on this. A seriously yummy way to use up leftovers, there is no reason why you could not use this for homemade pizza either. In case you missed the recipe, here is how to make Red Pepper Crostini. Of course, to make the version I used on these pizzas, just double the recipe and mix things up a bit with the colour of the peppers. 

To make my slightly adapted version of the Red Pepper Crostini topping we learned to make you need:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 red peppers, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped (optional)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion for a few minutes until soft. Add the peppers and cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the garlic, capers and vinegar and simmer gently for a few minutes. Taste carefully and add salt and pepper to taste. Go easy on the salt if you added the capers as they are very salty in themselves.

You can either allow this to cool down or serve it warm. Either way, add the chopped parsley just before serving. Serve on crostini, or as suggested above!

To make crostini, simply brush a baking sheet with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Slice ciabatta bread about a quarter inch thick and place it in a single layer on the baking sheet. Brush with more olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in a preheated oven at about 350 or 170. Watching the bread carefully, cook for about five minutes on each side, turning once, until golden brown. 


2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I have never tried using Balsamic Vinegar in homemade pizza before. And any pizza leftovers are always welcome in my house!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.