Thursday, 2 June 2011

Spicy Mango Chicken


My family is funny with spicy food. My husband loves a good Indian curry, but really isn’t into Mexican food at all. My son and I adore Mexican food, but curry? Well, not so much. The ones we do like are milder. My son likes coconutty, fruity Korma but me, I prefer to keep fruit and meat kind of separate, and I’m still not sure about coconut in anything but desserts. I’m more of a vegetarian Balti person.


So when I got to thinking about trying to make a curry that pleased us all, I decided to go with something I know I like. Mango chutney? Now that I like. And even though it is fruity, I can handle it with meat.


Having said that, I’m not heavily into meat, and I find beef and lamb curries just too heavy. So I chose chicken. Then I got to thinking about fusion, and combining flavours and cooking methods to give something that was not one culture or the other, that was really, well, just delicious. And it was. Yum. Oh, and it was easy and quick too which is always a plus.


The quantities below will serve four, but there are only three of us. You can see the lovely fusion lunch for two I made with the leftovers by clicking here. This is a recipes I am really proud of. Dinner, and leftovers that are anything but boring. I’d even make a double recipe just to have enough leftovers for more people. Seriously. It was that good.


About 2 tablespoons olive oil (or other mild vegetable oil)
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 red pepper, finely sliced
4 chicken breasts, preferably from pasture raised chickens
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon ground cumin (or curry powder if you can’t get cumin)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
½ cup mango chutney
3½ cups chicken stock, divided, and heated
1½ cups couscous
½ cup chopped scallions (spring onions)
flat leaf parsley, chopped


Heat the stock over medium heat in a small saucepan.


At the same time, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and red pepper until it begins to soften.


Meanwhile, place the chicken breasts in a ziplock bag or between two pieces of wax paper on a clear flat surface. Using a rolling pin, pound the chicken breasts until they have flattened into escalopes about half an inch thick.


Place the flour, cumin, salt and pepper in another ziplock bag. One at a time, put the chicken breasts in, seal and shake until the chicken is coated in the floury mixture. Add the chicken breasts to the frying pan with the onions and peppers. You may need to add a bit more oil at this point.


Cook the chicken for about three minutes each side until it is starting to take on a bit of a golden colour.


In a small bowl, thoroughly mix together the chutney and 1 cup of the warmed chicken stock. Turn the heat up a bit on the chicken and add the chutney and stock to the pan. Stir it into the vegetables, let it bubble and turn the chicken once or twice.


Meanwhile put the couscous in a large heatproof bowl along with the scallions. Pour the remainder of the chicken stock (which should now be very hot) over top. Cover and set aside for five minutes.


Once the sauce has begun to thicken on the chicken, turn the heat back. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t burn or stick.


When the couscous is done, stir through it with a fork. Add the parsley and stir a little bit more. Divide the couscous between the plates and serve everyone a chicken breast, some of the peppers and onions and some sauce.


This is fantastic served with Nan bread, which I must confess I bought from a bakery instead of making myself. (Nan is still on my list of things I want to make from scratch for the first time.)


But as there are only three of us, what to do with the leftover Nan and chicken? Please click here to find out! 

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a delicious chicken recipe! With me, I can take spicy better if it's tempered with a bit of sweet or creaminess to cool it down. But, if it's straight spicy, no way! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am like you...mixing meats and fruits...not so much. I can't do curry for some reason. But I have to admit, this looks mighty tasty. May have to give it a try.

    Maria @ A Platter of Figs

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.