Monday, 27 June 2011

Strawberry and Macadamia Nut Salad Two Ways



I originally published this recipe back in 2010, when I used to serve it with a balsamic dressing. However, recently I have begun working with my dear friend Naomi Darbishire of Agnes Rose, who makes the most beautiful infused oils and vinegars. I made a new vinaigrette using her strawberry and strawberry and mint vinegars and it really was fantastic. It's amazing how a simple dressing can transform a salad. I still like the Balsamic vinegar variation, but more often than not I find myself reaching for the Strawberry vinegar - an ingredient I had never used until recently, but which has now become the backbone of a huge number of summer recipes for me.

This is the perfect salad for a summer buffet or light lunch, and such a treat this time of year when you can get beautiful, fresh, local strawberries. 

About four to five cups mixed salad leaves 
(I used a bag of mixed salad and added about a cup of torn iceberg lettuce)
15 - 20  large strawberries, washed and sliced in about four slices each
2 handfuls of macadamia nuts
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tablespoons strawberry, or strawberry and mint, vinegar 
OR 2 tablespoons good Balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon liquid honey

Toss everything together in a salad bowl.  It’s nice to hold back a couple of strawberries and a few nuts just to decorate the top of the salad. 

2 comments:

  1. I love that combination! Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the inclusion of the macadamia nuts. This salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.