Monday, 22 August 2011

Lemon Blueberry Waffles


My cousin Esther is a wonderful hostess, and an amazing cook. One morning during our recent visit to their home in southern Ontario, she made us such a delicious brunch. Esther had prepared lots of waffles the week before and frozen them, and then reheated them for us on the morning. There were Orange Pecan Waffles, Banana Walnut Waffles and Lemon Blueberry Waffles. It was, in Esther’s words, a ‘waffle fest’! We also had lovely crispy bacon, hash browns, orange juice and big bowl of mixed berries.
Today I’m going to share Esther’s recipe for Lemon Blueberry Waffles. (I’ll share the other ones another day.) These waffles can be made ahead, cooled and frozen. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator, and heat gently in the microwave before serving. Of course you can serve them fresh too! 
To make 10 waffles you need:
1½ cups all purpose flour
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup plain vanilla yogurt
1 cup blueberries
Place flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. 
In another bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until blended. Stir this wet mixture into the dry ingredients. 
Stir in the lemon juice and zest, and then folk in the melted butter with a spatula or wooden spoon. Then fold in the yogurt, and finally, the blueberries. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
Preheat your waffle iron and cook the waffles according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve immediately or cool completely and freeze between layers of waxed or greaseproof paper. 
If you enjoyed this post you may also enjoy:

5 comments:

  1. How lucky to have a cousin like Esther. The "waffle fest" looks like there was plenty to go around and nice variety too. Thanks for sharing the recipe for the lemon blueberry ones-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look fantastic! All those waffles are making me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love lemon, but I've never heard of lemon waffles before. And with the addition of blueberries too? YUM! I bet these would be great with a dusting of powdered sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These may taste amazing but the texture as I'm pulling them from the waffle maker is limp - I think the addition of so much yogurt has something to do with it because my normal waffle recipe doesn't have it in and they're always crisp and firm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry they didn't work for you, Amber. They were wonderful when my cousin made them (and she had made them in advance, frozen them and then thawed and reheated them), and when I made them at home they were good too. My family and friends find them to be a very tender waffle but the edges always crisp up nicely for me.

      Delete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.