Monday, 15 August 2011

My Mom's Jam Muffins



I so enjoyed remembering so many good times and reminiscing with friends and family on our recent holiday. Of course, memories of the past so often involve food, and I was reminded of these muffins my Mom used to make after we came home from a cold afternoon’s skating. They tasted so good with a mug of hot chocolate! They are also delicious with coffee or tea too, and perfect for breakfast. My Mom used to use all whole wheat flour, and of course you are welcome to do so, but I prefer the lighter texture achieved by using half whole wheat flour and half white. As for the jam, the original recipe called for cherry, but you can use absolutely any flavour you like. I have yet to find one that isn’t delicious!

My Mom’s Jam Muffins
(originally Cherry Coconut Muffins)
Makes about 12 to 15 large muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon vanilla
a generous ½ cup desiccated or flaked coconut
2 eggs, well beaten
a generous ½ cup of jam
1 cup milk
¼ cup butter, melted and cooled a bit
Combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. 
Beat egg in a small bowl, and then stir in the jam with a fork, breaking up lumps as much as possible. Add the milk and melted butter and mix thoroughly.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once and stir just to combine. The batter will be lumpy.
Divide batter between muffin cups lined with paper liners and bake in a 375℉ oven (I set my fan oven at about 160℃) for 15 to 20 minutes or the tops spring back when touched lightly. 
Serve warm, or cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge, re-warming before serving.


2 comments:

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.