Friday, 4 November 2011

Potato Patties

This easy, frugal and delicious recipe is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. I serve potato patties with brunch as above or as a delicious side dish with chops, veggie or meaty sausages or even just on their own! 

The number of patties you can make depends on the size you choose to make them. I tend to aim for smaller patties as they are easier to turn and stay together better. When I make this quantity I can usually get about 6 - 8 potato patties out of it, and of course the recipe is flexible and easily doubled. 

2 to 3 cups cold leftover mashed potatoes
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion
2 teaspoons dried parsley
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying

Using a fork, combine all the ingredients (except the vegetable oil) thoroughly. Shape into patties. Chill for about 30 minutes. (I have occasionally cooked the patties without chilling them first. They do still work very well, but are much easier to turn if you do put them in the fridge for a few minutes.)

Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When it is very hot, but not smoking, gently transfer the potato patties into the pan. Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to fry them in batches.Cook for about two to three minutes each side, turning carefully once halfway through cooking. 

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to remember this recipe for post-Thanksgiving leftover mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.