Thursday, 8 December 2011

Martha Stewart's Spicy Pumpkin Bundt Cake


Martha Stewart has some amazing recipes. In fact, I can honestly say that of all the Martha Stewart recipes I have tried (and I've tried a lot!), not one has disappointed. This is no exception. 

The recipe does make a big cake. I recently bought a new bundt pan and I was sure it was a 14 cup model. I realised as the batter puffed up over the top of the pan that it wasn't (in fact it is actually a 10 cup). However, all the trimming I had to do to flatten the bottom made for some yummy nibbling so all was not lost. If your bundt pan does not hold 14 cups, either halve the recipe or perhaps make up the rest of the batter as muffins or in a loaf pan, adjusting the cooking time accordingly. 

The cake does what it says on the tin, and it is spicy. There is a pronounced ginger hit - not surprising when it calls for a whole tablespoon of ground ginger. We loved it, but if you are unsure, I would just use a little bit less. Don't leave any of the spices out though, as the combination Martha has used is really mouthwatering. I agree that freshly ground nutmeg is better, and the recipe does call for it, but I cheated and used ready ground as I was in a hurry.

This really is a gutsy cake and it couldn't be more versatile. Do serve thin slices as it is very rich. We had it for breakfast and dessert over several days and it kept really well. It's nice with a side of ice cream or a bit of whipped cream on top, and it was also good with some blackberries scattered over. Leftovers make an amazing bread pudding, or you can chop them up and use them in individual trifles, drizzled with a bit of sherry, port or rum, and layered with a bit of custard, fruit and cream. 

I glazed the cake with a simple glaze of confectioner's sugar mixed with enough water to make a drizzle-able glaze (is drizzle-able a word?) - about 1 cup confectioner's sugar mixed together with 1½ to 2 tablespoons of water. I then use a whisk to get a really smooth consistency. Be sure to wait until the cake is completely cooled before you glaze it.

Tempted? Click here for the recipe. You will be very glad you did.



5 comments:

  1. I was just thinking how good that would be in a trifle when I got to your list of suggestions. What a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely tempted! Lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. April, This recipe is definitely going onto my must-bake list. I agree with the comment above -- lovely photo! Thanks for sharing, ~Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.