Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Mystery Lemon Squares



This recipe is a bit of a mystery because I have no idea where it came from. I  found it in my late Mom’s old recipe file, but I don’t remember my Mom ever making it, and the recipe itself offers no clue as it is typewritten. The font, and the way the paper has aged makes me think that it must be quite old, but I can only guess at how old that might be.



I made these squares for the first time last Christmas and they have become one of our favourites. The sharpness of the lemon icing is the perfect foil to the sweet coconut and walnut filling. I like them because they keep extremely well in the fridge and are very easy to make too. In fact, although they make a wonderful addition to any Christmas cookie tray, this is a recipe I make year round.

¾ cup butter
1½ cups flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
½ cup coconut
½ cup chopped walnuts
1¼ cups brown sugar
¼ teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 (170 or 160 for a fan oven).

Cream together the butter, flour and white sugar. Pat the mixture into an 8 x 8 inch square pan.

Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Set aside.

Meanwhile, mix together the coconut, walnuts, brown sugar, baking powder and eggs. Spread over the base and bake for about 20 minutes or until brown.

It does look almost alarmingly brown when it comes out of the oven, but don’t worry, that is exactly how it should be. Set aside to cool.

Mix together ¼ cup softened butter and 2 cups powdered sugar. Add one teaspoon of vanilla and beat together well. Gradually add the juice of a lemon (you may not need it all, or you may need a little more), beating well after each addition until you get a smooth, spreadable icing.

When the squares are completely cool, spread with the butter icing. Chill before cutting in small squares. Store covered in the refrigerator. 


If you enjoyed this post, you may also enjoy
Aunt Dorothy's Butterscotch Squares
Coconut Date and Cherry Christmas Squares




4 comments:

  1. I love mysteries! These look fantastic! My mum used to make a lemon square that I have been trying to find FOREVER. I've tried many but they just aren't quite right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound delicious. Isn't it fun to find a treasure recipe?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I like mystery recipes. I bet these tasted great! Btw, I made your chocolate chip slice and bake cookies for my sister to bring to her pot luck. They were a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind comments :) And @yummychunklet, I'm so glad you liked my chocolate chip slice and bakes!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.