Thursday, 1 December 2011

Warm Wild Rice Salad with Sausages and Apples



I’ve written before about my friend Naomi of Agnes Rose and the wonderful infused oils and fruit vinegars that she makes in England’s beautiful Lake District. They are a great asset in the kitchen, adding wonderful flavours to my recipes all year round. 
A few months ago, Naomi launched some new products, including a fabulous Cumbrian Damson Cider Vinegar with Local Honey which is fast becoming one of my favourites. This lovely vinegar has a great depth of flavour from the jammy damson plums, and just a hint of sweetness from the honey, making it wonderful to cook with. 
I recently used this lovely new vinegar in a seasonal recipe for a warm rice salad. It’s one of those recipes I made up as I went along, just using ingredients I had to hand, and I was so pleased with the results.  My family loved it, and when I made it a week or so later in larger quantities for entertaining, it was definitely a crowd pleaser. 
To serve 3 to 4 people generously you need:
2 tablespoons Garlic Oil (preferably Agnes Rose)
8 to 10 free range/pasture raised sausages - depending on size – if using skinny (chipolata) style sausages use 10 to 12
1½ cups long grain and wild rice 
½ cup chopped green onion (scallions)
3 eating apples, cored and chopped but not peeled
(I often mix red and green apples for colour.)
3 teaspoons wholegrain Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons cider vinegar, preferably Cumbrian Damson Cider Vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan (with a lid) over medium heat. Cut each sausage in three with a sharp knife and brown them in the pan.
Meanwhile cook the rice in a large saucepan in boiling salted water according to package directions.
Add the apples to the pan, along with the remaining teaspoon of oil and stir fry for a minute or two.
Mix the mustard and the vinegar together. Pour into the pan with the sausages and apples and toss to coat. Allow everything to sizzle together for a minute and then pop the lid on the pan for three to five minutes. You may want to reduce the heat a bit at this point. The apples should be slightly softened but still have a bit of bite to them.
Drain the rice well and return it to the saucepan to keep warm.
Add the chopped green onions to the sausages and apples. Toss everything together gently, but well. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper if necessary.
Serve immediately, placing portions of the sausage and apple mixture atop portions of rice. 

1 comment:

  1. I've always loved the taste of sausage and apples. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.