Thursday, 5 January 2012

Parma Ham and Cantaloupe Salad



I often find myself craving salads after the seasonal feasting of the holidays. Fresh, light and delicious, they seem to be just what my body needs. 

I made this salad as an homage to one I had at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel’s The Blvd Restaurant. Although I had it in summer, with lighter lettuces, it stands up very well to hardier winter lettuces and makes a very satisfying light lunch. A light creamy dressing with herbs is all you need to top it off. I used this recipe from Allrecipes and it worked beautifully. On another occasion, when I was in a hurry, I used a high quality ready made dressing from Mary Berry and Daughter.

To serve two people (or 4 people as a starter) you need

Half a cantaloupe
6 to 8 slices good quality ethically raised Parma Ham
about 1 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
4 cups mixed salad leaves, rinsed
freshly ground pepper

Remove the rind from the cantaloupe and slice thinly.

Place half the salad leaves on each plate and lay the cantaloupe slices over top. Lay the Parma Ham slices in between. Scatter with the Parmesan cheese shavings and a good grinding of fresh pepper.

Drizzle a small amount of dressing over each salad, serving more on the side. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a fun salad. I love the sweet/salty/crunchy things going on in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a light and refreshing salad with just enough protein from the parma ham!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.