Monday, 23 January 2012

Tofu Stir Fry with Hoisin Sauce for Meatless Monday on Chinese New Year



Celebrated by billions of people all around the world, today is the most important of all Chinese holidays, the Chinese New Year. I have fond memories of watching the wonderful New Year parades from Macy’s seventh floor window over looking Union Square in San Francisco. The colour and joyful noise of the celebrations echo through the streets and it really is a sight like nothing I had ever seen before. 
The Chinese calendar is based on a complex calendar system that uses both lunar and solar cycles. This means Chinese New Year falls on different dates every year, sometime between January 21 and February 21 of the Gregorian calendar. Each year is associated with one of twelve animals in the Chinese zodiac. It’s the Year of the Dragon this time. I don’t follow horoscopes, but it’s fun to find out what animal you are. (I’m a snake, my husband is a horse and our son is a rooster.)
When we are at home, I like to make some sort of a stir fry dish for dinner on Chinese New Year. As it’s also Meatless Monday today, I am going to re-post a recipe that was very well received by readers back in 2010. I have to confess I’m not a huge fan of tofu, but I like it in this stir fry. Of course you can always leave out the tofu and just use vegetables. That is the beauty of stir fry, you can use so many different vegetables you really won’t miss the meat, whether you use tofu or not. Another way to mimic the texture of meat is to include mushrooms in your stir fry.
To read more, please click here...

3 comments:

  1. This looks scrumptious. I love hoisin. It seems to have just the right taste for a stir-fry. My husband and I both would enjoy this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great dish to celebrate Meatless Chinese New Year! Sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hoisin! I just used it in a meatloaf recipe this weekend! Your stir fry sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.