Friday, 30 March 2012

Hazelnut Apple Coffee Cake



One of my most treasured possessions is my Mom’s recipe box containing hand written recipes from three generations of family and friends. One of them is a fairly basic spiced coffee cake recipe with a swirl of sugar and cinnamon running through it that I have made many times. Yesterday I decided to give it a makeover, reducing the total sugar content (originally 2½ cups!) and including some fruit and nuts to make it both tastier and healthier. I decided to use red skinned apples for sweetness, substitute olive oil for the original fat and change up the spices and flavouring a bit as well. When it came to the nuts I wanted something mild but full of flavour, so I chose hazelnuts. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to sell this as a healthy option. It’s still cake, and it’s still got almost 2 cups of sugar in it! However I firmly believe we all need a treat once in a while, and this is a seriously delicious treat. It makes a lovely breakfast, but it’s also wonderful served warm with cream or ice cream later in the day. Or you can try it for ‘elevenses’ the wonderful British tradition of a cup of coffee or tea with a snack served at (you guessed it) eleven am. 

To read more, please click here...

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I have hazelnuts on hand, so I'm definitely making this for my mom this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, it is nice to have a treat now and again! I do occasionally bake with sugar and I don't know whether I am kidding myself into thinking it is healthier BUT I use unrefined granulated sugar. On special occasions like birthdays I make an awesome vegan chocolate cake (which is on my blog) that is perfect for my husband and daughter (one no eggs, the other no dairy).

    This cake can be quite easily made gluten free with Doves Farm gluten-free flour. I can just imagine how lovely it tastes with the apples and hazelnuts and the lovely spice choices of cinnamon and ginger!

    I love that you are making cakes past down through generations! I have a few recipes hand written by my grandma and just looking at her handwriting brings back fond memories.

    Take care... Oh and don't eat too much Hotel Chocolat next weekend! Of course that may be difficult if you are lucky enough to be bought an Ostrich Egg!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.