Saturday, 17 March 2012

Kissing the Blarney Stone


Photo credit Alex J Harris
When I was a little girl, my Dad and my Grandpa used to talk about kissing the Blarney Stone. Apparently it gave you ‘the gift of the gab’. The legends as to why that is vary as do the stories of its origins, from it being a stone brought to Ireland by the prophet Jeremiah to it being a throne of Irish kings. Wherever it came from, it has long been believed that kissing it meant that the ‘gift of the gab’ would leave you always charming and able to have your own way.

The Blarney Stone legend came to my family via my Dad’s mum. Irish by birth, she immigrated to Canada when she was a young woman. That is another story in itself, and you can read about it here. I’m not sure if my Grandma, whose name was Mary, ever kissed the Blarney Stone. I think it’s fairly unlikely as the Blarney Stone is, not surprisingly, in Blarney, in Southern Ireland. Grandma was born in Belfast in Northern Ireland and back when she was growing up it was a very long way away indeed. 

To read more, please click here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.