Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Chocolate Chip and Pecan Meringues



My mother in law used to make these a lot, and they were always family favourites. This is another recipe from the blue spiral bound notebook my sister in law gave me many years ago.

You can use any brand of chocolate chips for this recipe, but the better the chocolate chip, the better the cookie. For me the best brand is Hotel Chocolat. I used to be a complete devotee of another famous brand, but one taste and I was a convert. Both Hotel Chocolat’s milk and white chocolate chips (which they call ‘chocolate drops’) have an amazing flavour and mouth feel. Also instead of starting with ‘sugar and partially hydrogenated...’ their ingredients list starts with ‘cocoa solids’ or ‘chocolate’ and doesn’t feature the word ‘hydrogenated’ anywhere. I’m not being paid to say this, I’m just a huge fan! 

But back to the cookies. Meringue is a tricky customer, and how it turns out depends on your oven. What you want with these is a crisp lightly golden outer shell which gives way to a soft, slightly chewy centre. The best way to do this is to cook the meringues at a very low heat. 

To read more, please click here...

1 comment:

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.