Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Ginger Jam Bread and Butter Pudding


Photo Alex Harris

If you ask most British people what their favourite comforting dessert is, chances are bread and butter pudding will come very near to the top of the list. Originally developed as a way of using up bread that was past its best by spreading it with butter and soaking it in a custard of milk and eggs, this homely pudding has been elevated to gourmet status over the years with the addition of new flavours and ingredients. 

In her book, Nigella Bites, Nigella Lawson shares her Grandmother’s Ginger Jam Bread and Butter Pudding. Made with brown bread, this wonderful twist on the traditional was definitely ahead of its time. When I first made it years ago I followed Nigella’s Grandmother’s recipe exactly and the results were delicious, but you know me, I can’t leave a recipe alone. Over the years, I’ve tinkered and played with it, and although I haven’t veered too far from the original I have made a few changes. 

To read more, please click here...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it's a Nigella recipe? Definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.