Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Nigella Lawson's Madeira Cake


Photo credit Alex Harris

If I were only allowed to keep one of my dozens of cookbooks (a strange notion I know, but bear with me), I would choose Nigella Lawson’s ‘How To Be a Domestic Goddess’. I love to bake, and this book celebrates baking on every single page. Nigella wrote it almost as if she was talking to the reader, and whenever I make a recipe from it I feel somehow as if she is there in the kitchen with me.

Although I rarely work my way through a cookbook from beginning to end, this Madeira Cake, the first recipe in the book, was also the first recipe I cooked from it. I’m not sure why I chose to make Madeira cake before any other recipe - perhaps it was the fact it contained so few ingredients, and seemed so very simple. I was intrigued by the fact that it had no Madeira in it, and also by Nigella’s assertion that this cake ‘is one of those plain cakes you think you can’t see the point of, until you start slicing and eating it’. 

To read more, please click here...

1 comment:

  1. I've wanted to try Nigella's madeira cake for awhile. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for visiting.